- 2016 Certified by the American Board of Otolaryngology
Certified by the American Board of Cosmetic Surgery
- 2015-2016 American Academy of Cosmetic Surgery Fellowship, Noblesville, IN
- 2010-2015 University of Texas Southwestern Medical Center (UTSW), Dallas, TX
Otolaryngology – Head and Neck Surgery Residency
Graduated June 12, 2015.
- 2006-2010 Baylor College of Medicine, Houston, TX
Doctor of Medicine degree conferred on May 25, 2010.
- 2002-2005 University of California Berkeley
Bachelor of Arts with Highest Distinction in General Scholarship, December 20,2005.
Major: Molecular and Cell Biology with Biochemistry & Molecular Biology Emphasis
- 2014-present University of Texas Southwestern Medical Center, Department of
Otolaryngology-Head and Neck Surgery
Baran D. Sumer, M.D. Reviewed medical records of patients with head
and neck squamous cell carcinoma who have required reirradiation
therapy to see if there is a difference in radiation doses and outcomes
between those treated first with surgery versus chemoradiation.
- 2009 MD Anderson Cancer Center, Department of Head and Neck Surgery
Erich M. Sturgis, M.D., M.P.H., F.A.C.S. Reviewed medical records of
patients with sinonasal squamous cell carcinomas and studied the
literature regarding a possible association with human papillomavirus.
Also assisted in recruiting new patients seen in the head and neck clinic
for studies of genetic risk factors for cancer.
- Fall 2008-2009 National Cheng Kung University (NCKU) Medical School Taiwan
Chong-Jeh Lo, M.D., F.A.C.S. Evaluated recent efforts to integrate English
into the medical school curriculum by analyzing surveys from students at
NCKU who have completed the Medical English courses, externships
abroad, and Medical Physiology (the first basic sciences course taught
solely in English).
- 2004-2005 University of California Berkeley, College of Chemistry
Ahamindra Jain, Ph.D. Characterized the impact of fluoroaromatic
interactions on folding of 12-mers into stable beta-hairpins that mimic the
structure of the V3 loop in the HIV-1 virus.
- 2014 Lo EJ, Truelson JM, Myers LL, Nedzi L, Chen S, Schwartz D, Yordy J, Khan S,
Hughes R, Sumer BD. “Transoral Surgery Versus Primary Chemotherapy
and Radiotherapy for Treatment of Advanced Stage Head and Neck
Squamous Cell Carcinoma.” In process.
Presented as an oral presentation at the 2014 Texas Association of
Otolaryngology Annual Meeting May 3, 2014.
Presented as an oral presentation at the 2014 AAO-HNSF Annual Meeting.
- 2010 Lo EJ, Bell D, Li G, Woo J, Hanna EY, El-Naggar AK, Sturgis EM. “Human
Papillomavirus and WHO Type I Nasopharyngeal Carcinoma.”
Laryngoscope 2010; 120:1990-1997.
Presented as a poster at the Triological Society Combined Sections
Meeting February 4-7, 2010.
- 2009 Lo Emily J, Lo Chong-Jeh. Integration of English into Medical Education:
The Time is Now. Journal of Medical Education 醫學教育. 2009; 13:15-23.
- 2009 Lo Emily, Peng Cheau-Jane, and Lo Chong-Jeh. “Medical Education in
English: A Pilot Study.” In process.
- 2004-2008 National Cheng Kung University Medical School, Tainan, Taiwan
During summer and winter vacations, taught Medical English courses for
first and second-year medical students by giving presentations, grading
reports, and leading discussion groups to encourage use of English on a
daily basis in a clinical setting.
- Spring-Fall 2003 Oakland Asian Student Education, University of California Berkeley
Tutored high school students newly emigrated from China in all school
subjects and helped them to practice speaking and writing in English.
Other Professional Activities
- 2015-present Member of the American Academy of Cosmetic Surgery
- 2010, 2012 Ad hoc reviewer for journal Head & Neck
- 2010-present Member of the American Academy of Otolaryngology-Head and Neck Surgery
- 2012-present Resident Advisory Committee
Represented the otolaryngology residency in meetings every quarter to
discuss upcoming changes impacting UT Southwestern residents.
- 2012 ,2013, 2014 On My Own Time Art Show, University of Texas Southwestern Medical Center
Submitted works in watercolor and pastel for the annual campus-wide art show.
- Summer 2009 BCM Annual Art Show, Baylor College of Medicine
Drew four original pieces using pastel for charity art show.
- June 2009 Potocki-Lupski Syndrome Family Conference, Baylor College of Medicine
Helped lead activities held at Texas Children’s Hospital for children with
this genetic syndrome who have developmental delay.
- May-June 2009 Evidence Based Medicine Course, Baylor College of Medicine
Graded student papers that critically appraised primary medical literature
for this second-year course.
- 2002-2005 Undergraduate Activities, University of California Berkeley
Regents’ and Chancellor’s Scholarship Association public relations
committee and Souls for Christ Fellowship secretary and treasurer.
Honors and Awards
- 2015 UTSW Department of Otolaryngology, Head and Neck Surgery Resident Research Award
- 2012, 2014 Texas Association of Otolaryngology Head and Neck Surgery Lloyd Storrs’ Lectureship 1st prize
- 2008 Certificate of High Honor in recognition of Exceptional Academic Performance in the Basic Sciences, Baylor College of Medicine
- 2007 Arnold A. Zimmermann and John C. Haley Award for Excellence in Cell Biology and Histology, Baylor College of Medicine
- 2006 Nominated for membership in the Phi Beta Kappa Society, University of California Berkeley
- 2005 Bachelor of Arts with Highest Distinction in General Scholarship, University of California Berkeley
- 2002-2005 Regents’ and Chancellor’s Scholarship, University of California Berkeley merit scholarship.
- 2002-2005 Honors every term and Dean’s List (2004), University of California Berkeley
- Languages: Mandarin (speaking, reading), Spanish. Currently studying Japanese.
- Hobbies: Playing piano and flute, drawing, and painting.